10 Ways to Experience May in DPC
May 2, 2018
Derby Day - May 5 - Sutherlin Mansion, 4-7 p.m.
- Live music by Norm Aquilo, Hhavy hors d'oeuvres, cash bar, horse race betting based on a 50/50 raffle
- Hat contest with fabulous prizes and live broadcast of the 144th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs
- Tickets: $40 in advance/$45 at the door (One ticket includes food, and a drink ticket for beverage of your choice)
Farmer's Market Grand Opening & Make Danville Shine Expo - May 5 - Danville Community Market, 7:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Local produce, meat, eggs, plants, flowers, baked goods, handmade gifts and more
- Home improvement experts, Danville Science Center, corn hole tournament, children's crafts, popcorn, cotton candy, hot dogs and giveaways
- Free tomato plants while supplies last
Spring Pops Concert - Wild, Wild West - May 5 - George Washington High School Auditorium, Doors open 7:30 p.m., First note 8 p.m.
- The concert is free to public. We are asking to bring 2 or more of non-perishable canned food and/or monetary donation for God's Storehouse
- Hoedown from Rodeo
Flip Flop Friday - May 11 - The Homeplace Vineyard, 6-10 p.m.
- Featuring live music by Jerry Wilson and the Soulmasters
- Nana Karen's and Sherri's Crabcakes will be onsite for food
- You are welcome to bring your own snacks, but no outside alcohol is allowed
Professional Rodeo - Danville Pittsylvania County Fairgrounds - May 11-12, 8-11 p.m. each night
- Featuring bareback riding, saddle bronc riding, tie down calf roping, breakaway roping, steer wrestling, team roping, barrel racing and bull riding
Gretna Strawberry and Wine Festival - May 12 - J.T.'s at the Lavalette House, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Featuring strawberries, wine from eight of the region's best wineries, artisan craft vendors and live music by Michelle Motley and Low Low Chariot
- Uprooted and No Butts About it along with MayLynn's creamery will be onsite for food and dessert
- Tickets are $15 in advance, and $20 at the gate for tasting. Non-tasters are $5, and children and teens 16 and under are free
May Day on the Farm - May 12 - Owen Farm, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Featuring hayrides, pony rides, train rides, zipline, new slide, climbimg wall, barnyard friends, facepainting and more
- Shop the market for fresh flowers for Mothers Day, fresh produce, fresh free range eggs, USDA approved beef, spring decor, shirts, goat milk products, local honey, molasses and more
- Ribbon fries, hot dogs, walking tacos, nachos, Coke products, sweets and more will be available for purchase
2 Witches Fourth Year Anniversary Celebration - May 18 - 2 Witches Winery & Brewing Co., 5-10 p.m.
- Join 2 Witches Winery & Brewing Co. as they celebrate four years
- Hudson Heritage Farms will be serving up our grilled Brats and Pretzels
- Live music by Turkey Scratch
Festival in the park - May 18-20 - Ballou Park
- Join us for arts and crafts, kids pedal tractor pull, The Cutest Show on Earth, Community Resource Fair, live music and entertainment, rides, food trucks and more
- Admission and entertainment are free
- There will be a cost for the rides, food and any crafts you purchase
Music on the lawn - May 24 - Canal at Riverside Mill, 5-8 p.m.
- Join us for live music performed by Megan Doss, lawn games, warm breezes and cool drinks
- Appetizers available for purchase from Cotton Restaurant
- Free admission. Beer, wine and snacks available for purchase onsite
- This is a family friendly event