Franklin Junction Historic Railroad Park
Gretna has a great deal of railroad history. In appreciation for the benefits that resulted from the railroad’s coming through the Town, Jeremiah Talbott, in 1872, deeded a right-of-way to the Lynchburg and Danville Railroad. Construction of the L & D Railroad began in 1872 and was completed two years later. Then in 1879 the Franklin & Pittsylvania Railroad (F & P) was completed which began the Franklin Junction passenger and freight station, Elba Post Office and Gretna’s railroad heritage. This allowed for the passage of famous trains, like the Old 97, which came through this small Town before it’s famous wreck in 1903.
The Franklin Junction Historic Railroad Park is a tribute to Gretna's railroad history.Learn More.
105 Main St.
Chamber Office: 434-836-6990
HOURS OF OPERATION