Prison Number 6Six tobacco warehouses and factories were converted into prisons beginning in late 1863. Only one of these buildings remains: Prison No. 6. William T. Sutherlin owned the warehouse and arranged for the Confederacy to use the building to house Federal prisoners of war. The six facilities held just over 7,000 Union soldiers including black troops captured at the battle of the Crater near Petersburg. More than 1,000 of these soldiers ultimately died in prison from smallpox and dysentery. Today, Prison No. 6 is much altered from its original appearance. It is located at 300 Lynn Street, at the corner with Loyal Street in Danville's Tobacco Warehouse District. Learn More.
Lynn and Loyal Streets
HOURS OF OPERATION